Measuring up a Vaccine: The Meningitis B Immune Response Study

This past November, students from Princeton University’s incoming freshman class lined up atop Icahn Laboratory’s Oval Lounge to participate in an immune response study to the meningitis B vaccine. That clinic was the second round of a large-scale public health study being conducted by Professor Nicole Basta, an infectious disease epidemiologist in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.

After nine cases of meningitis B broke out at Princeton in 2013, University Health Services (UHS) worked with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to approve an emergency vaccination campaign. Continue reading

Suspected Measles Case Reported On-Campus; Student Had Been Vaccinated

Preliminary testing has suggested that a University student could have a case of the measles, Princeton’s University Health Services announced in an email to the student body late Wednesday afternoon.

The email stated that 99.5% of the student body has been vaccinated against the disease. The student with the suspected case is among those who had been immunized against the measles, according to University Spokesperson Martin Mbugua. Continue reading

First Monthly Public Health Table

1. Care to spice up dinner time? 
2. Feeling a significant lack of casual public health discussion in your life? 
3. Want to learn about something meaningful in the comfort of Whitman’s common dining hall?
If you answered yes or were even unsure about any of those questions, then JOIN US!
Don’t overthink it and just come on over.
The Princeton Public Health Review (PPHR) is having its first monthly public health table!
Monday, December 8
6:30-8:00 PM
Whitman Common Dining Hall
Yi-Ching Ong, PhD from the Global Health Department
 presenting new non-profit models for pharmaceuticals and drug development for neglected diseases!

Valley Fever: The Mysterious Fungus Infecting the Southwest without a Vaccine or Cure

Valley Fever or Coccidioidomycosis, also known as cocci, is a fungal disease endemic to the soils of the Southwest. Around 60% of those exposed never have symptoms. The majority of the other 40% have flu-like symptoms. About 5 to 10% of those exposed develop serious and long-term problems with their lungs. In about 1% of those exposed, the fungus spreads throughout the entire body, infecting areas such as the brain and bones (1).

Although the first diagnosis was in 1892, Valley Fever continues to infect people without a vaccine or cure. Continue reading

How far should they walk?

We have accepted that there currently exists no cure to HIV/AIDS, simply antiretroviral drugs that can dramatically slow its effects. Along with these drugs, education, and lots of preventative measures against it, the proportion of the population living with HIV/AIDS should be minute. As residents of a developed nation where we can find doctors’ offices and hospitals on every other corner, we never think about what would happen if there was no healthcare facility nearby and we had no car to drive to the nearest one, or even a computer to look up its location. This is the major issue plaguing the fight against HIV/AIDS, and in rural areas where few resources are available, we are no closer to solving it.

The US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), launched in 2003, was founded for the purpose of reducing the prevalence of HIV/AIDS in 15 focus countries in Africa, Asia, and South and Central America. Continue reading

Call for papers

UPDATE: As a result of requests, we have extended our deadline to MONDAY, MARCH 31 @ 11:59 PM!

Have you submitted a paper for a class? Is it now gathering figurative dust on your hard drive? Take a few minutes to share it with us, and your ideas could potentially be published and appreciated by other students, faculty, and more.

PPHR is a student-edited publication intended to showcase the outstanding global health research performed by Princeton University undergraduates and to provide a forum for any and all health-related discussions. We encourage academic works of all forms and from all disciplines.

We are soliciting papers, research articles, opinion pieces, creative works, academic term papers, junior independent work, and senior theses related to health and/or health policy. We want to emphasize that these pieces can be written from scientific, social scientific, or humanities oriented perspectives, and mulitidisciplinary work is encouraged. If you’ve written anything health-related for a class, no matter the format or topic, we encourage you to submit your work. We will be able to find space for high-quality submissions of any type in either the print or online editions of our journal. We are now currently accepting submissions for our 2014 issue.

Please upload your work on our website ( by SATURDAY, MARCH 15 @ 11:59 PM! Alternatively, submissions can also be received via email at We look forward to reading your work!